New York Truck Accident Attorneys
18-Wheeler Accident Claims in in the 5 Boroughs of New York City & the Surrounding Counties
Have you or a loved one been injured in an accident involving a semi-truck? Or have you lost a loved one in a truck accident? At Law Firm of D.F. Truhowsky, we understand the devastation truck wrecks are capable of causing.
Our New York truck accident lawyers have helped countless New Yorkers who have been wrongfully injured obtain:
- The maximum financial compensation
- Medical treatment
- The justice they deserve
We provide personalized, accessible, and compassionate representation to all our clients while fighting aggressively on their behalf.
Who Is Liable in a Truck Accident?
In a typical motor vehicle accident claim, you sue the driver who was responsible for causing your accident and the owner of the vehicle. However, accidents involving semi-trucks are rarely that simple.
Commercial trucking operations require numerous parties to keep them running. A single tractor-trailer on the road is there thanks to the combined efforts of:
- A truck driver operating the truck
- The trucking company that employs the driver
- The truck’s owner who maintains the vehicle’s engine and other components
- The loading company that places the cargo in the trailer
- And the manufacturers who build trucks, trailers, and all their necessary parts
Any one or more of these entities may be legally liable if you have been involved in a truck accident. How?
Let’s say you are driving in an urban area and a truck’s brakes fail, causing it to hit you from behind. The driver as well as the trucking company that employed the driver, the truck’s owner and the company that made the brakes may be responsible for any injuries you sustain.
In another scenario, you are driving down the highway when a truck’s cargo begins to spill out of the trailer, and some of it strikes your vehicle causing you to crash. In this case, you can potentially file a claim against the loading company that failed to properly secure the cargo and the driver, the trucking company that employed the driver, and the truck’s owner as well.
Following an accident, law enforcement will create an accident report to investigate the cause and determine who is liable. Your attorney will also conduct an investigation on your behalf.
The best way for you to help with this process is to take pictures of the crash scene and vehicles involved just after the accident from as many angles as possible and as safely as possible (if you are physically capable of doing so) and to refrain from both admitting fault and directing blame at a specific person.
Anything you say can be used against you by insurance companies who don’t want to pay you a fair settlement, so the less you say the better.
What Are the Most Common Types of Truck Accidents & Injuries?
Due to their sheer size and weight alone, heavy trucks can cause significant property damage and inflict catastrophic injury and death on a number of innocent victims when involved in a crash.
Some of the most common types of large commercial truck accidents are:
- Head-On Collisions: When large trucks collide with other smaller vehicles head-on, it often results in deadly consequences.
- Rear-End Collisions: Being rear-ended by a heavy truck can also be incredibly deadly.
- Blind Spot Accidents: Trucks have massive blind spots due to their immense size, so they sometimes change lanes or turn into smaller, hard-to-see vehicles. A good rule of thumb is if you can’t see the truck’s mirrors, it’s likely the trucker can’t see you.
- Jackknife Accidents: When trucks brake suddenly their trailers can swing out to a ninety-degree angle and hit other vehicles. A jackknifing truck can easily overturn or roll-over.
- Underride Accidents: These accidents are sadly incredibly deadly. Underride accidents happen when trucks stop quickly and approaching vehicles get stuck under the tractor-trailer, which rips off the top of the vehicle trapped underneath.
- Tire Blowouts: Due to their large size and weight, large commercial trucks are especially vulnerable to tire failure. A blowout can cause a truck to lose control, resulting in devastating damage.
Truck accident injuries often include the following:
- Back and neck injuries
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Severe burns
- Loss of limbs
We will fight for your right to obtain the maximum compensation that you deserve to cover your accident-related injuries as well as expenses, from medical bills to lost wages.
Law Firm of D.F. Truhowsky team understands the gravity of what you are dealing with and will take whatever legal action is necessary to ensure you and your loved ones are able to move on from this ordeal as best as possible.
Reach Out to New York Truck Accident Lawyers for Guidance
Because every case is unique, the best way to get a handle on your specific situation is to consult with a truck accident lawyer directly. The truck accident attorneys at Law Firm of D.F. Truhowsky have decades of experience negotiating and litigating such claims and have won millions of dollars for injured clients just like you.
We understand the complexities and challenges of truck accident claims and will guide you through the process. Throughout the duration of your claim, we will be by your side helping you overcome this ordeal with personalized representation and service.
To receive the medical treatment and legal representation you deserve, give us a call at (212) 880-6496 or contact Law Firm of D.F. Truhowsky online now for a free consultation with our truck accident attorneys.